This lovely place has a "resort" feel to it with many nice hotels, shops and restaurants.
MannlichenOne of the highlights of things to do in the summer, is to board the Mannlichen gondola and take it to the top.
We did this on our Switzerland family European vacation in the Jungfrau Region. It was a very memorable day.
Once we reached the top of the tram, imagine our surprise when we discovered that they were having an Alpine Horn Festival.
The horns sounded beautiful echoing in the mountains! What a delightful surprise on our adventure.
From here you can:
- Take the short hike to the top of the Mannlichen for sweeping views of the Bernese Oberland.
- Try the longer but relatively easy Swiss hike from Mannlichen to Kleine Scheidegg. There are beautiful views of the famous North face of the Eiger, Jungfrau and the town of Grindelwald.
Kleine Scheidegg and the Jungfraujoch
The Mannlichen hike ended in the small hamlet of Kleine Scheidegg....which is the stop for the special train to the Jungfraujoch.
Jungfraujoch is the highest train station in Europe and built on a glacier.
It is in the picture above on the ridge between the 2 snow covered peaks....Eiger, left and Jungfrau, right.
The trip is very expensive, so make sure it is a clear day when you go.
Take the train back to Wengen from Kleine Scheidegg or do some more hikes from here.
Switzerland Travel - Bernese Oberland
There are many other side trips you can take on your Switzerland Vacations in the Jungfrau region.
Check the following pages for more information on this gorgeous area:
- Interlachen - The main Swiss Rail train station for this area is located in this larger town.
Please share with us here your favorite Switzerland destination or a review when you return from your Swiss vacation.
Hotel Wengen OptionsThere are about 22 hotels in this resort area. Here are a few favorites:
- Beausite Park Hotel - 47 rooms, elegant award winning hotel, restaurant, terrace, pool
- Hotel Berghaus - Swiss style hotel, restaurant
- Zum Baren - 41 33 855 14 19, 14 rooms, amazing views
- Schonegg Hotel - 41 33 855 34 22, rooms with balconies, lovely restaurant, bar
- Caprice Hotel - 20 rooms, tranquil, rooms with balconies, sauna, pool room, restaurant, bar
- Alpenrose - 41 33 855 32 16, 50 rooms, alpine style hotel, tasteful rooms, restaurant, bar,
- Hotel Falken - 50 rooms, hotel is over 100 years old, original character, great location, restaurant, bar
- Sunstar Hotel - 76 rooms, quiet, good location
Wengen Vacation Rentals
Here are a 1 and 2 bedroom Wengen apartment available for rent....perfect if you are staying for a week or it is a Switzerland family holiday.
You will find the rates here quite high, because it is considered a "Mountain Resort". Check out Lauterbrunnen for lower rates.
This area is very popular for Ski Holidays Switzerland.
You will find:
- 45 lifts and the world famous Lauberhorn descent
- Mannlichen-Kleine Scheidegg
- Eiger Glacier
- Town hosts the International Ski Race in January....part of the "World Cup-Race"
- Snow boarding
- Toboggan runs
- Ice skating for family fun
I hope you enjoy your Switzerland Vacation Getaway to the Bernese Oberland and some of the most beautiful scenery in the world!
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.