My husband and I spent our honeymoon here and took many day trips. This Bernese Oberland area is a great choice for European vacations.
We had a Swiss Pass and used the included train, bus and boat to see many Switzerland attractions.
Swiss Rail travel from the busy and centrally located Interlachen Train Station makes it easy to travel near and far in Switzerland.
Here are some of the side trips we took:
- Circle trip (see below) in the Jungfrau Region
- Evolene - overnight trip in the rugged Val d' Herens
- Boat ride on Lake Thun
Switzerland Vacation Tips
If you prefer a larger town with more shopping, hotels, restaurants for your Switzerland Holiday, Interlachen is a good choice.
Make sure and take side trips to nearby Lauterbrunnen and Murren. These two towns, in my opinion, should not be missed. They are two of my favorite places in the world!
Circle trip with Swiss Rail
- Take the Swiss train to Grindelwald and enjoy its setting at the foot of the Eiger.
- Then on to Kleine Scheidegg, a tiny resting stop....where you can
- take a special train to Jungfrajoch, the highest train station in Europe (Warning - this side trip is very expensive...don't go if it is not a clear day)
- Then on to the car less town of Wengen, set on a ledge above the Lauterbrunnen Valley
- Down the mountainside to Lauterbrunnen, a lovely narrow town set below a majestic waterfall.
- Return by train.
Both Wengen and Lauterbrunnen are worth a stop just for the sheer majesty of their scenic beauty and spectacular settings.
Side trip from Lauterbrunnen
- Take the funicular from Lauterbrunnen up the steep mountainside to Grütschalp.
- Hop the train at Grütschalp that takes you across the mountain ledge to car less Murren and its breathtakingly beautiful setting on the edge of the mountain.
- Have a coffee or maybe a picnic on the mountainside and drink in the fantastic views of the Eiger, Monch and Jungfrau.
- Take the cable car up the Schilthorn, where you will feel like you are on "top of the world"!
- Take the cable car back down to Stechelberg, on the valley floor, passing Gimmelwald (Rick Steve's favorite).
- Take the bus back to Lauterbrunnen, with a possible stop at fascinating Trümmelbach Falls.
Interlaken Switzerland Self Catering and Vacation RentalsCheck out a holiday apartment Interlaken below. Click on the picture or name to get detailed information or email the owner.
Nice house with 2 apartments (one the owner's), in the district of Matten, 2 km from the centre of Interlaken, in a quiet, sunny position in the residential district.
1-room apartment 24 m2, on the ground floor, cosy furnishings: living/sleeping room with 2 beds, dining table, cable-TV and radio. Kitchenette (2 hotplates, oven). Shower/WC. Patio. Terrace furniture. View of the countryside. Please note: only 1 dog accepted. Very reasonable rates.
Apartment house, in the resort, 100 m from the centre. In the house: lift. Grocers 50 m, supermarket 600 m, restaurant 50 m, bus stop 200 m, railway station "Interlaken West" 600 m, swimming pool, indoor swimming pool.
2-room apartment 56 m2 on 2nd floor, renovated in 2007, modern furnishings: living/dining room with dining table, cable-TV, radio and CD-player, exit to the balcony. 1 room with 1 double bed (160 cm).
There are many hotels to choose from for your Interlachen Swiss vacation including very elegant, deluxe hotels to smaller Inns.
Check out this powerful search engine that checks 120+ Hotel Websites for the best prices on Hotels in Interlachen.
A couple of recommendations I have researched:
- Splendid Hotel Interlaken - Smaller quaint
- Lindner Grand Beau Rivage Hotel - Large, elegant, more expensive
- Chalet Oberland Hotel - Nice quality, moderately priced, great breakfast
- Best Western Hotel Bernerhof Interlaken - Nice hotel, beautiful views, good location
Check availability on all of the above hotels and more and see photos, reviews and the cheapest rate for each hotel.
Cheap Interlaken Switzerland AccommodationIf you are looking for budget accommodation for the lowest price including hostels, guesthouses, apartments, campsites for camping and more....try the search box below. You can also check out Interlaken Tours.
- Have you been to the Bernese Oberland before? Do you have a favorite town, hotel or attraction that everyone should know about?
- When you return from your getaway, tell us about it. Review the destination, lodging, attractions, restaurants and/or share a photo.
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.