We based ourselves in this breathtakingly beautiful valley on a one week family Europe vacation.
This is a great destination for Switzerland summer holidays or a romantic honeymoon vacation.
The picture perfect setting includes steep Limestone cliffs surrounding the valley, awesome Staubbach Waterfall (seen and heard throughout this long narrow town) and the spectacular mountain views. What an awesome setting!
Lauterbrunnen has more of a "small town" feel than many of the other places in the Bernese Oberland. There are many things to do in this area so it makes for a fantastic Switzerland vacation.
Switzerland Vacation Rentals
This is a great set up for family holidays in Switzerland because there is lots of space for everyone, the ability to cook meals and save money and you have a great place to relax and enjoy the fantastic scenery. I would highly recommend an apartment.
Here are some Lauterbrunnen Vacation Rentals to check out....
- Jungfrau Hotel - 20 rooms, indoor pool, cozy fondue restaurant
- Schutzen Hotel - Swiss Chalet-style Hotel, Restaurants - Fondue/Raclette, Bar
- Silberhorn Hotel - 50 beds, Dining Room, Gaststube Restaurant, Lounge
- Hotel Oberland - 41 33 855 12 41, 24 rooms, 4 apartments, Restaurant has some outdoor seating
- Staubbach Hotel - over 100 years old, 50 beds, some family rooms
- Hotel Crystal - 41 33 856 90 90, bed and breakfast with 2, 3, and 4 bed rooms, 1 apartment, restaurant
- Hotel Sternen - 41 33 855 12 31, small 16 bed hostel hotel near train station, restaurant
Swiss Rail Pass
We purchased a Swiss Pass which you must do before you arrive in Switzerland. It includes trains, buses and boats....perfect for day trips.
There is also a Swiss Family Card which is a great deal if you are traveling with children.
This is a great way to travel in Switzerland. You can get almost anywhere using these three modes of transportation. It is a great adventure for the kids, also.
Swiss Rail Travel is very efficient....on time to the second! It was so relaxing to sit back and just enjoy the scenery.
- Schilthorn cable car to the "Top of the World!"
- Kleine Scheidegg
We also did some hiking in Switzerland. There are numerous Swiss hikes from which to choose.
Take the chair lift or tram up and hike down part or all of the way. The scenery in this area is fabulous and paths are good...you see many people hiking, young and old. There is a mix of easy and difficult hikes, so something for everyone.
Here are some hikes our family took:
- Tram from town to Brutschalp, train to Murren, then hiked back to Brutschalp and tram back to town
- Murren to Gimmelwald
- Wengen chair lift to Mannlichen, then hiked to Kleine Scheidegg
- Part of the way down the Lauterbrunnen Valley toward Stechelberg
- Train to Grindelwald and hike to Glacier Gorge
More Tourist Ideas
- Trummelbachfalle - a waterfall inside a mountain
- Picnics - every day we got DELICIOUS GruyÃ¨re cheese from the Cheese Shop, Salami from the Meat Market and bread from the Bakery and headed out for a picnic
- Shopping in Interlachen
- Local Food Specialties - try the Rosti or Raclette for dinner at local restaurants
- Outdoor Cafes - Have coffee or lunch with a Spectacular view!
If you love the mountains (as I do!), a Swiss Vacation to the Bernese Oberland will be a favorite vacation destination!
Please share with us your favorite Bernese Oberland destination or a review when you return from your Swiss vacation.
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.