Excellent Base Cinque Terre Getaway
Riomaggiore is a charming hillside village in Cinque Terre Italy.
Cinque Terre, "hidden gem" of the Italian Riviera, is made up of five beautiful remote villages that are only connected by boat, train or hiking.
It is a great destination for a romantic honeymoon getaway or European weekend break.
The peaceful pace of life and stunning scenery refresh and rejuvinate. Consider the Cinque Terre region for a great short break on a longer European vacation.
There is a parking lot outside of town if you arrive by car and then a shuttle bus brings you into town.
When you arrive at the train station, there is an elevator which brings you to top of the town....there is breathtaking views!
Warning - There is a lot of steps and steep inclines in this village (difficult with baggage or for those with physical limitations).
Notice the colorful murals around town depicting village history and everyday life.
Via Colombo is the narrow main street in town and it is lined with restuarants and shops. There is the Cinque Terre Antiche Museum showing an old video of Cinque Terre.
When to go - July, August, weekends and holidays are when it is busiest. I would avoid these times if at all possible. The summers are hot and humid in this area. Spring and Fall would be a great time for a Cinque Terre Holiday.
Cheap Cinque Terre Books
Check out these inexpensive travel books about the Cinque Terre to help you plan your trip.
- For hiking Cinque Terre, begin with this Southern most section of the trail that goes between the villages in the Cinque Terre. It is the easiest stretch....a 20 minute "stroll" on a paved path from Riomaggiore to Manarola.
- A cliff side trail leads from the beach to WWII bunkers and the hilltop botanical garden.
- A steep trail from town leads to the Madonna di Monterero Sanctuary high above town (or a shuttle bus from town goes here).
Riomaggiore Hotel and RoomsCheck out a variety of Riomaggiore accommodations here including photos, reviews and a search for the best rate.
- Locanda del Sole - Modern and clean hotel, ask for room with terrace, at top of the hill with steep climbs, good breakfast
- La Baia de Rio - Tel. 39 0338 9816364, rooms with balconies and great views of the town and ocean
- Edi's Rooms - Tel. 0187-760-842, renting 20 various rooms and apartments
- Casa Lorenza - Tel. 0187-920601, rooms and apartment, deck with ocean views
- Il Boma - Tel. 39 0187 920395 , Three small, homey rooms in center of town, no breakfast
- Anna Michielini - Tel. 0187-920-411, five relatively cheap apartments (2 with kitchens) in center of town with no views
Cheap Accommodation in RiomaggioreHere is a great selection of Cinque Terre budget lodging, the majority are located in Riomaggiore. They include hostels, hotels, dorm rooms, family rooms and double rooms with ensuite and shared bathrooms.
Cinque Terre Holiday RentalsCheck out vacation rentals in the Cinque Terre....a great lodging option for your getaway on the Italian coast.
Make sure and check out the local food specialities which include anchovies (accuighe), pesto, focaccia, farinata (fried bread snack) and wine (Vino delle Cinque Terre).
We had a delicious meal....which included a great pesto and fish entre....at a charming, little restaurant along main street.
La Lanterna is a small restaurant with a charming outdoor patio near the harbor and amazing views. Try the seafood, fish and pasta dishes.
For a romantic weekend getaway, try Ristorante Ripa del Sole, which is a little more elegant in atmosphere.
Bar Centrale not only serves breakfast, but is one of the liveliest places at night in this village.
Riomaggiore.....excellent base for your Cinque Terre Holiday!
Cinque Terre Vacation
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.