The centre of Florence is closed to traffic and still has a medieval feel. The Gothic Duomo, dedicated to the Santa Maria del Fiore, dominates the skyline of Florence.
Combining a Florence vacation and a visit to the charming villages of the Tuscan countryside make for favorite European vacations.
The warmest months are July and August with an average high of 88 degrees F. They are also the most crowded so avoid this time and holidays if possible.
The coolest months are December and January with an average high of 50 degrees F. The best time for a Florence vacation is spring and fall.
Florence Italy sightsThere are so many wonderful things to do and see on a Florence vacation getaway. Here are some of the "must see" top Florence attractions.
- Uffizi - (1581) wide array of Renaissance art from the 14th to the 18th centuries, get reservations ahead to avoid long lines
- Bargello - Great works of art representing numerous artists including Donatello's "San Giorgio" and Michelangelo's "Bacco"
- Museum of San Marco - built in 1436 by Michelozzo, mostly dedicated to the work of Fra Angelico
- Accademia - Michelangelo's "David" is located here, along with "Quattro" and "Prigioni" sculptures, avoid the lines and get tickets ahead
- Duomo - Constructed from 12 century through the 15th century, the cathedral has both Roman and Gothic architectural styles....frescos, choir stalls, floor mosaics, and stained glass including the Rose Window by Duccio di Buoninsegna, are some of the finest you will see
- Medice Chapels - Michelangelo's statues of Lorenzo Duke of Urbino and of Giuliano Duke of Nemours, in addition to the allegories of Day and Night, Dawn and Dusk, the Madonna with child
Sculpture Baboli Gardens
- Santa Croce Church - walls are adorned with elaborate frescoes by Giotto, church contains the tombs of Michelangelo and Galileo and a monument in honor of Dante (don't miss Donatello's "Crucifix")
- Ponte Vecchio - the "Old Bridge" was first constructed in 972 AD, here have been shops lining this bridge since the 12th century
- Baboli Gardens - enjoy great views of the city in this Italian Renaissance garden adorned with multiple statues
Lodging in Florence
Florence Italy Hotels
A couple of highly recommended hotels in Florence include the Hotel Europa and Hotel Athenaeum
Florence Bed and Breakfast
If you are looking for B B Florence, check out the search engine below and choose "guesthouse" for property type.
Budget Hotel Florence
Looking for cheap hotels in Florence? Here are a couple with good ratings: Hotel Accademia and Hotel Monica.
The winner of the "2008 Best Hostel" is the Academy Hostel.
Below is a great search engine for checking cheap hotels, B&Bs, guesthouses, rooms and hostels for your Florence vacation. Please note that the prices are "per person".
Florence Vacation RentalA Florence Italy Rental is the perfect way to immerse yourself in the wonderful culture of this amazing city. These Florence holiday accommodations are great for families, couples traveling together, family reunions and destination weddings. There are villa, apartment, condo, cottage and farmhouse holiday Florence options.
Wi- Fi free in apartment! Torri villa holiday rentals apartments is a medieval house of 13th century, located in the beautiful Chianti area on the top the hills with a best view.
The gorgeous medieval accommodation is administrated by the owner- family, entirely made of stone, subdivided in apartments a few minutes from the artistic Tuscan city centres.
14TH C.Villa in the Tuscany Countryside, between grapes and olive trees. Close to Florence, approx 16 km, easy to reach, also by train from Pontassieve rail station...in 16 minutes guests will be in the centre of Florence.
a charming and well- appointed apartment of 80 sqm located in the center of Florence, a few steps from the Duomo and Palazzo Vecchio. It is completely renovated and very quiet. It presents a mix between the modern and the past.
The modern part, with parquet floors and Venetian stucco walls, is composed of a large and welcoming entrance, endowed with led colorful floor to welcome the guests, 1 bathroom with a large shower and 1 with bathtub with chromotherapy, 2 double bedrooms, one with a view of the Duomo and Campanile of Giotto.
The oldest part, with beautiful tiled floors in cotto and ceiling with beams, is composed of a large well- furnished living room with sofa bed and a wide cooking angle. From the windows you can admire the Duomo, the Campanile di Giotto and the Torre del Bargello. From the stairs you can reach a relaxing garret- area with chair and window where we can admire Palazzo Vecchio. A splendid terrace completes the apartment on the roofs of Florence.
Here are more Tuscany rentals to check out....
Some great options for restaurants in Florence that have gotten good reviews are: Bardini Garden's Cafe, Cafe Daria, Il Pirata, La Buca di Enea and don't forget to try the famous getlato!
I hope this Florence Italy tourist information helps you plan a wonderful Florence vacation!
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.