The picture perfect setting has cobbled streets, historic homes, gorgeous Mansions, the Cliff Walk and the famous Ocean Drive....making for favorite New England vacations.
I didn't know anything about Newport unil my oldest daughter started looking at colleges.
She visited Salve Regina University, where she eventually went to college.
This resulted in many Newport Rhode Island Vacation Getaways. I fell in love with this beautiful town....quaint, but with so much to see and do.
Newport RI Travel - For an East Coast Weekend Break or New England Romantic Getaway....here are the drive times:
- Boston MA - 1 hour
- Hartford CT - 2 hours
- Portland ME - 1 1/2 hours
- Manchester NH - 2 1/2 hours
- New York NY - 3 1/2 hours
For arrivals into Providence Airport it is a 35-40 minute drive to Newport. There is a limo from the airport - COZY CAB ph. 401-846-2500. The Newport trolley will get you around town once you arrive.
Hotels in Newport Rhode IslandFind information on accommodations for your Newport Rhode Island Vacation including luxury hotels, cheap places to stay in Newport, Bed and Breakfast and hotels for a wedding. Check here if you are interested in Newport lodging in vacation rentals such as cottages, apartments or homes.
Things to do in Newport
- Cliff Walk Newport
- Newport RI Mansion
- Ocean Drive Newport RI
- Walking Tours - Newport Historical Society's guided tours 401-841-8770
- The Point - early Colonial neighborhood
- Historic Hill - Newport's oldest landmarks
- Cliff Walk Tour
- Newport Harbor Cruises
- "Amazing Grace" - One hour boat tour of Newport Harbor and Narrangansett Bay.
Classic Cruises of Newport
- Classic 72 foot Schooner "Madeline".
- High Speed Motor Yaht "Rumrunner".
- Norman Bird Sanctuary - 583 Third Beach Road, Middletown, 450 acre wildlife refuge with 7 miles of hiking trails, museum and gift shop.
- Newport Museums
- Tennis Hall of Fame
194 Bellevue Ave., 401-849-3990, Dedicated to preserving the history of tennis.
- Museum of Yachting
Fort Adams State Park, 401-847-1018, Collection of yachts, artifacts and exhibits of the sport and its history. It includes the America's Cup Gallery.
- National Museum of American Illustrations
492 Bellevue Ave., 401-851-8949
- Largest collection of originals of Maxfield Parrish.
- Largest private colleciton of Norman Rockwell.
- Largest J. C. Leyendecker Collection.
- Newport Art Museum
76 Bellevue Ave., 401-848-8200, Highlights the artistic heritage of Newport, Rhode Island and SE New England.
- Tennis Hall of Fame
- Newport Beaches
- Easton Beach or First Beach - Begins at the Cliff Walk and runs about 3/4 of a mile to Middletown. Showers, concessions, carousel, cabanas. Good for surfing, family nights, children's shows and concerts.
- Sachuest Beach or Second Beach - Three miles of beach with sand dunes. Life guards and concession stand.
- Third Beach - Secluded beach, some of which is private. Boat ramp with permit.
- Gooseberry Beach - Cove on famous Ocean Drive Newport RI. Small parking lot and concession stand.
Restaurants for your Newport Rhode Island Vacation
- Flo's Clam Shack & Raw Bar 44 Wave Avenue Middletown
mmmmm Nummy, greasy, tender fried clams. Definitely a rich, caloric splurge. I love the rustic, informal atmosphere - but, mostly I love the fried clams! We try to always stop here on our Newport Rhode Island Vacation.
- Black Pearl Newport RI Bannister's Wharf - this restaurant is very popular and has great clam chowder. In fact it was the first restaurant we went to in Newport.
- Mooring Seafood Kitchen and Bar 1 Sayor's Wharf - upscale harbor view restaurant with creative Seafood en trees...featured on Giada's weekend getaways.
- Thai Cuisine 517 Thames Street - This place has the BEST Thai food....another of our "regular" stops in Newport. We usually get a bunch of different dishes and split them.
- Mama Luisa Restaurant 617 Thames Street - Cozy, romantic atmosphere and homemade pasta dishes make this a great place to dine.
- Via Via Pizza 376 Thames Street - This is a thin crust pizza baked in a wood stove, Italian style. Delicious!
- Sushi-Go Brick Market Place - Cute little Japanese restaurant that serves good Sushi, take-out and tables. My daughter use to get 50% off take-out at the end of the day.
- Coddington Brewing Company - 210 Coddington Highway Middletown - Good food, cozy fireplace.
- Salvation Cafe 140 Broadway - funky, casual restaurant serving unusual dishes using fresh ingredients.
- Atlantic Grille 91 Aquidneck Avenue, Middletown - Casual restaurant with a great breakfast.
- Red Parrot 348 Thames - Popular, large upscale restaurant with an extensive menu.
- Yesterday's & the Place 28 Washington Square - Pub style restaurant serving very good food. We've eaten here several times.
Empire Tea & Coffee
coffee shop with local flavor has "open mike" night and serves "Mochi Balls".
- Starbuck's 212 Thames Street - For those who HAVE to have their Starbuck's...cute coffee shop with balcony seating in central location.
- Tea on Thames - Brick Market Place
- Katrina's Bakery 1 Casino Terrace - I like this local bakery off Bellevue. It has a little sitting area and coffee - the ham & cheese croissant is great for a quick breakfast.
- Cold Fusion Gelato 389 Thames Avenue - Delicious gelato made in the store.
Italian Newport Rhode Island Restaurants
Coffee Shops & Ice Cream
Newport RI Weather
The weather in Newport RI is relatively moderate because of its location on the coast. Although, there is snow in winter, it often is milder than you would find inland. The summers are warm and great for outdoor activities like sailing or cruising in harbor on your Newport Rhode Island vacation.
- Coldest month - January with an average high of 38 degrees and average low of 23 degrees.
- Warmest Month - July with an average high of 78 degrees and average low of 64 degrees.
- Wettest month - March with an average of 4.51 inches of rain.
- Driest Month is July with an average of 3.01 inches of rain.
Newport Tourist Seasons
- High season - Memorial Day to Labor Day - great for the beach and boating, highest prices, biggest crowds, lots of traffic.
- Shoulder season - Spring and Fall - good for active outdoor activities, less crowds, less traffic, beautiful Spring blossoms and Fall Color for your Newport Rhode Island Vacation.
- Low season - Winter - Great time for cozy, relaxing romantic weekend vacation at Bed and Breakfast Newport, Christmas decorations and activities at some Newport RI Mansions, prices drop, some businesses close.
- Have you been on Massachusetts vacations before? Do you have a favorite town or area that everyone should know about?
- When you return from your Massachusetts getaway, tell us about it. You can even share a photo from your trip.
Ocean Cliff Resort
New England Vacations
Boston Weekend Getaway
Cape Cod Getaway
Cape Cod Rentals
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.