Considering a Cape Cod weekend getaway? You've come to the right place.
This area of natural beauty, beaches and quaint Colonial villages is a winner.
There are tons of charming Inns, Bed and Breakfasts and resorts....I have highlighted some of the best here.
If you like great seafood restaurants, Cape Cod offers everything from casual crab shacks to fine dining and a variety of other types restaurants, also.
Planning a girls getaway? There are plentiful shops of all kinds and art galleries for browsing.
The Cape is a great choice for a perfect honeymoon or romantic weekend getaway. Relax and enjoy the scenery, beaches and lovely accommodations along with everything else this beautiful area has to offer.
When to go on a Cape Cod Weekend Getaway?
By far, the busiest time is summer. Lots of folks from Boston come down to escape the city for a vacation and especially summer weekends should be avoided unless you don't mind traffic and crowds.
Fall and spring would be a great time for a Cape Cod weekend getaway. And, even in winter, the many lovely Bed and Breakfasts and Inns have fireplaces to keep you warm and cozy.
Let's explore the many charming towns and villages along the Cape and the nearby sights to see, beginning at gateway and down to Provincetown.
Cape Cod Towns and Villages
- Sandwich - gateway town, first settlement attractions, gracious old homes, Heritage Museums and gardens, Sandwich Glass Museum
- Woods Hole - charming fishing village, Aquarium - Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution
- Yarmouth Port - Edward Gorey (author and illustrator) Museum, Parnassus Books has vintage books, best nature trails (Yarmouth Historical Society's) through marshes and conservation areas
- Harwich - famous for its cranberry bogs, Harwich Historical Society Museum, great boating with 5 harbors
- Chatham - good base for a cape cod weekend getaway, most quaint town, Railroad Museum with the history of the Cape Cod Railroad line, great for shopping, Friday night band concerts, boat rides to seals on Monomoy Island, fish pier where you can watch the local catch being brought in
- Barnstable - gateway to the Cape Cod National Seashore and home to Salt Ponds Visitor Center
- Wellfleet - literary town, premier restaurants, Wellfleet Harbor Actor's Theatre, 20 art galleries, Wellfleet Bay Wildlife Sanctuary with its moors, salt marshes and sandy beaches
- Provincetown - beautiful, lots of history, home to many writers artists and alternative lifestyle folks, food, shopping, people watching, Pilgrim Monument- top has great view, Provincetown Museum - replica of Mayflower, artifacts of Pilgrims, Heritage Museum has the largest fishing schooner replica in the world
- Nantucket Town - old whaling town, cobblestone streets, preservation of old, shops with luxury items
- Oak Bluff's Martha's Vineyard - harbor town, darling cottages, area with good nightlife
- Edgartown Martha's Vineyard - charming town, refined classic mansions and yachts
Accommodations Cape CodHotels, Inns and Resorts
- Bradford Inn Chatham is a small Colonial Inn set on 2 acres with nice rooms, pool and breakfast.
- Chatham Guest Rooms - Guest house with 2 spacious rooms at reasonable prices for a Cape Cod weekend getaway.
- Crowne Pointe Inn Provincetown - elegant inn, beautiful rooms and grounds, turn down service, great spa, splurge for a ultra romantic getaway, expensive
- Ocean Edge Resort Brewster - 400 acres with private beach, historic landmark, free breakfast, elegant restaurant and pub
- Captain's House Inn in Chatham is the perfect place for a honeymoon or Cape Cod romantic getaway. Great in summer or winter with many fireplaces. Historic property but beautifully decorated and updated rooms. Delicious breakfast and English tea in the afternoon. Great also for girls getaways!
- Old Harbor Inn Ph. 800-942-4434 is charming and an easy walk to the quaint center of Chatham. This is another great choice for a romantic weekend or trip with girlfriends. Lovely rooms with gas fireplaces.
Bed and Breakfast Cape CodStone Lion Inn Ph. 508-349-9565 in Wellfleet is a homey, quiet, relaxing place with good breakfasts and close to the village. Brewster offers the Isaiah Clark House, a lovely,immaculate B&B with cozy rooms and delicious breakfasts. Provincetown has the Beaconlight Guest House which features cozy rooms with antiques and reasonable rates.
Cheap Cape Cod LodgingHere are some ideas for budget accommodations on the Cape, including two hostels.
Best Cape Cod BeachesThere are many beaches to explore on a Cape Cod weekend getaway. Some to check out are: South Cape Beach with its sandy beach, marsh and ponds; Corporation Beach in Dennis has Cape Cod's most famous shoreline; Brewster offers 8 different beaches; Nauset Beach in Orleans is one of the best wide and sandy beaches; Barnstable has 7 beaches to explore.
Cape Cod Restaurants
Romantic weekend getaway ideas include The Mews & Cafe Mewswith its nice view of beach and water, The Regatta in Cotuit is elegant and has a creative menu.
Seafood lovers check out the casual Clam Shack for the best clams on Cape Cod, Catch of the Day Seafood in Wellfleet for great fresh seafood and Moby Dicks in Wellfleet, a family style seafood restaurant.
Sal's Place in Provincetown is a winner for those who love Italian with its great setting on the beach and outside tables.
Old Yarmouth Inn is quaint and has a 3 course fixed price menu option and a dining room and tavern area.
Shopping on a Cape Cod Weekend GetawayWellfleet is know for its 20 art galleries. Chatham and Provincetown have many different types of shops and stores for browsing.
- Have you been to Cape Cod before? Do you have a favorite hotel or attraction that everyone should know about?
- When you return from your Cape Cod getaway, tell us about it. You can even share a photo from your trip.
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.