Murren has a unique setting on a mountain ledge with breathtaking scenery in all directions.
It is a "must see" on your Switzerland Holiday in the Bernese Oberland.
I have stayed both here and in Lauterbrunnen.
Lauterbrunnen is a great base for day trips in the Bernese Oberland.
You can hop right on the Swiss Rail Train to Interlaken where you can transfer to many places in Switzerland.
Murren is a perfect base for a Swiss Hiking Vacation or a restful getaway .
Getting in and out of this peaceful, "carless" village takes time....either
- take the gondola up the mountain from Lauterbrunnen and transfer to the train
- go to the end of Lauterbrunnen Valley and take the gondola up to town.
My mom, sister, niece and I stayed here on our girls getaway European Vacation.
We went in September....what a beautiful time of year to travel here.
The colors of the mountains were lovely....and lodging prices discounted.
The weather was a bit unpredictable. One day it was warm shorts weather and the next morning....
....we woke up to SNOW!!
Murren HotelsThere are plenty of places to stay. Here are some favorites:
- We stayed at the Chalet Fontana a Bed and Breakfast type lodging, 41 33 450 755196, simple accommodations right in the middle of town, reasonable prices
- Eiger Hotel - the only hotel with indoor swimming pool, jacuzzi, sauna and solarium.
- Hotel Alpenruh - 26 rooms, located next to the Schilthorn cable car stop, restaurant
- Hotel Edelweiss - 24 rooms, rooms with balconies have gorgeous views, restaurant
- Hotel Alpina - 41 33 855 13 61, 25 rooms, family home, restaurant, bar, terrace restaurant with breathtaking views
Cheap Lodging ChoicesIf you are looking for inexpensive chalets and hotels, here are a couple of choices for Swiss budget accommodations.
Eiger Guesthouse - We are THE budget place in car free Muerren with the most fantastic views of the Eiger, Moench and Jungfrau.
Blumental Hotel - The Blumental is a rustic Swiss hotel with a lot of charm and a cosy atmosphere.
Murren Villa Rentals and apartmentsThis is a great option for family European vacation getaways or for two couples traveling together.
- Alte Backerel - 41 33 855 54 06, up to 8 people
- Annex Finel - 41 33 856 56 00, 4-5 people
- Chalet Alpinheim - 41 33 855 14 74, 5-8 people
- Finel - 41 33 856 56 00, 4-5 people
- Oberdorf - 44 1453 810 400, up to 6 people
- Top Apartments - 41 33 855 37 06, 3 apartments for 2 to 6 people
- Bim Hiti - 41 33 855 18 79, 2-4 people
There are over 15 Hikes in the area...from easy to very difficult. Here are a few of them:
- Short hike down to Gimmelwald, a sleepy little "hamlet". Gimmelwald is famous because it is a favorite of Rick Steves.
- Hike to Grutchalp Station at the top of the Lauterbrunnen funicular
- Hike part of Grutchalp trail to Winteregg Station, then....return by train.
- Various Schilthorn hikes - part of way using gondola
Schilthorn - Top of the World
One of the highlights of our Swiss vacation getaway was taking the cable car up to the amazing revolving restaurant on the Schilthorn.
It is a good idea to go early in the day when it is clear, as the clouds often come in and you might not have the views.....which are unbelievable.
Have breakfast, enjoying the breathtaking views!
This was the setting for the James Bond movie On Her Majesty's Secret Service.
The cable car trip (you can hike part of the way if you like!) is quite a ride. The views of the Alps are simply awesome!
More Sights to See and Things to Do
Check out these pages for further information and details on planning your Switzerland Holiday in the Bernese Oberland:
- For those who enjoy downhill skiing, there is a very challenging run from the Schilthorn and a few other intermediate runs. Think about the views you can enjoy from "the top of the world".....
Whether it's skiing in the Alps, a summer lunch on the terrace or a Fall picnic on the slopes....
You can't help but fall in love with Murren Switzerland!
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.