Rocky Mountain National Park
Rocky Mountain National Park covers 416 square miles. There are 114 peaks over 10,0000 and 1/3 of the park is above the treeline. The highest peak is Long's Peak at 14,255 ft.
There are 5 vistitors centers, 3 outside the park and 2 inside the park.
Trail Ridge Road is an amazing 50 mile road through RMNP with some of the most surreal scenery you have ever seen. This road is closed approximately mid-October through June, depending upon the weather...so plan your Colorado mountain vacation accordingly.
My husband and I took this road several years ago on a Colorado weekend getaway and it was awesome. At times, I felt like we were on the moon because of the terrain and absence of plantlife. It is common to see elk, moose, black bear and bighorn sheep along with many other types of wildlife.
There are great views along the road at Parks Curve, Rainbow Curve and Forest Canyon Overlook.
Activities in the summer include hiking, fishing, horseback riding, biking, and backpacking. In the winter there is skiing and snow shoeing.
Fly into Denver and it is about 1 1/2 hour drive to Estes Park, the entrance to Rocky Mountain National Park.
Hiking Rocky Mountain NPThere are tons of great hiking trails in the Park. Here are a few great suggestions for your Colorado mountain vacation:
- Easy Short Hikes - Lily Lake, Sprague Lake and Bear Lake
- Longer hikes - The Pool (3.5mi), Calypso Cascades (1.8mi), Fern Falls (2.7mi) and The Loch (2.8mi)
- Difficult hikes with greater elevation change - Ouzel Falls (4.7mi), Fern Lake (3.8mi) and Odessa Lake (4.9mi)
Fishing Rocky Mountain NPThere are over 25 lakes know to contain fishing populations. Four species of trout are found in the park....brown, brook, rainbow and cutthroat. Fly fishing is some of the best in Colorado but the season is relatively short, April through October.
Horseback Riding Rocky Mountain NP
There are lots of beautiful secluded trails in the Park. If you are looking for trail rides on your Colorado mountain vacation, check out Silver Lane Stables for 1, 2, 4 hour or all day rides; Sombrero Stables for Roosevelt National Forest rides or Hi Country Stables in the Spraque Lake and Moraine Basin areas.
Rocky Mountain WeddingMany people dream of getting married on a mountain top. Here is the scoop for RMNP weddings.
- You need to get a permit ($50-$200) to have your wedding in RMNP and you need to get prior written approval from the Concessions Management Office (970-586-1209).
- There are several areas for small groups (up to 35 people).
- Up to 60 people are permitted at Copeland Lake and Endovalley.
- For parties up to 100 people, the only locations are Harbison meadow, Hidden Valley, the southside picnic area at LIly Lake and Moraine Park Museum Amphitheater.
There are no hotels in the park, only in Estes Park and Grand Lake. Here is information on these two towns for a Colorado mountain vacation.
Estes Park Colorado
Estes Park is a very busy town in summer which is peak season for a Colorado mountain vacation to this area. There lots of tourist shops and restaurants here. The Estes Park Area Historical Museum features a detailed account of the town's history.
Cabins - Rocky Mountain Rentals near Estes Park
Our beautiful, Estes Park, vacation home is the retreat you have been looking for. Our lovely home is spacious and welcoming on one acre of gorgeous mountain meadow. We have 360 degree views from the property. You can walk to neighborhood lakes. There is a bike path across the street that loops through downtown, lake Estes and the Fairgrounds. Great for a leisurely walk or ride. T
Right on the Big Thompson River, beautifully renovated log cabin for rent by owner. You will love your Colorado mountain vacation at our cabin just outside Estes Park, Colorado. Fish (catch and release) right in front of the cabin or enjoy a picnic at our private picnic area by the river.
Privately- owned and operated 2000 square foot 3- bedroom, 1.5 bath, 3- story home! Sleeps 8 very comfortably.
Beautiful setting on 26 acres with meadow, woods, seasonal stream and wonderful views of Mt Meeker and the Continental Divide. Hiking trails around the property. Lots of Elk and Deer with smaller animals like coyotes, fox and a lynx in the area.
Beautiful 4 bedroom, 2 bath vacation home. Perfect for couples & families. Private mountain location, with your own hot tub with stunning lake and mountain views all around. Features are views of Lake Estes, Mount Olympus, Lumpy Ridge, Cathedral Ridge, Twin Owls, Mummy Range, and those are just a few!
Rocky Mountain Lodging in Estes Park
- Alpine Trail Ridge Inn - clean rooms, convenient location, moderate prices
- Evergreen on Falls River - Ph. 970-577-9786, modern river-front cabins for family vacation or romantic getaways Colorado.
- Comfort Inn Estes Park - comfortable rooms, continental breakfast, short drive to downtown Estes
- River Forks Inn - Ph. 970-669-2380, historic Inn and stage stop in Drake, Co. with variety of prices, restaurant
Estes Bed and Breakfast
Guilded Pine Meadows Bed and Breakfast is a homey B&B with nice rooms, quiet atmostphere and great hosts. Black Dog Inn has comfy rooms and a nice cabin...great for a Colorado romantic getaway with its jacuzzi and fireplace.
Grand Lake Colorado
Grand Lake Vacation Rentals
Another great option for your Colorado Mountain vacation to Estes Park, are these Grand Lake Rentals or the ones listed below. You can prepare your own meals and have extra space for a family or group.
Grand Lake Lodging
I hope you are convinced that a Colorado mountain vacation in Rocky Mountain Park will be most memorable!
- Have you been on a Colorado Vacation? Do you have a favorite destination that everyone should know about?
- When you return from your getaway, tell us about it. Review the destination, lodging, attractions, restaurants and/or share a photo.
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.