A New Braunfels vacation is a favorite choice for Texas getaways because of its many outdoor activities including tubing on the river, the famous Schlitterbahn Waterpark, extreme sport options and more.
Being 30 miles North of San Antonio and 46 miles South of Austin, it is a central base for a romantic weekend or any kind of Hill Country Getaway.
This town was founded by Prince Carl of Solm-Braunfels, Germany. It was settled by German immigrants in the 1840s and this is still evident in the architecture, food and festivals, such as Wurstfest.
New Braunfels Vacation RentalsCheck out our separate page for condos, homes and cottage rentals.
Hotels New Braunfels
For a New Braunfels vacation for the family and a cheap hotel option, you might consider one of the many chain hotels here such as the Comfort Suites, Sleep Inn or Hampton Inn ....all include free breakfast.
The Gruene Mansion Inn with its Victorian Rustic Elegance has been designated a Texas Historic Landmark and all of the rooms have been made into individual units, a good choice for a romantic getaway. The River Hideout room was beautiful with a lovely view of the river and balcony with rocking chairs
Right on the Comel River, the Hideout on the Horseshoe is a great place to stay for tubing. Sit on the balcony outside your door and enjoy watching the other tubers go by. Cabins and grounds are clean and the staff very helpful. Great choice for romantic getaways in Texas, Texas girlfriend vacations, honeymoon getaway or Texas family vacation.
Hideout on the Horseshoe Courtesy of TripAdvisor
"Perfect for couples getaway"
John Newcombe's Tennis Ranch - come for the tennis pros and plentiful tennis courts including true hard clay ones. The food is plentiful here...don't expect a country club or luxury but to work hard and improve your game!
Newcombe's Tennis Ranch Courtesy of TripAdvisor
"It's all about the tennis"
New Braunfels Texas Bed and Breakfast
Lamb's Rest Inn is a contemporary Inn with lavishly decorated rooms and several levels of decks going down to the river, pool and hot tub....nice for a romantic Texas getaway.
Lamb's Rest Inn Courtesy of TripAdvisor
Kuebler Waldrip Haus & Davnville Schoolhouse B&B - Two beautifully restored pioneer buildings in 43 scenic acres just minutes from fabulous shopping, two rivers, live music , restaurants, wineries. Kuebler Waldrip Haus has 5 rooms and 5 baths (some with a jacuzzi). Danville Schoolhouse building now has 5 rooms and 5 baths (one with jacuzzi), full kitchen, covered porches. Deer Haven Cottage (950 sq. ft.) has 3 bedrooms.
Kuebler Waldrip Haus Courtesy of TripAdvisor
Biscuit Hill B&B Canyon Lake - perfect for a Hill Country romantic weekend getaway, lovely rooms with fireplace, king size beds, some private hot tubs and jacuzzi tubs, scenic views, luxurious amenities
Biscuit Hill Bed and Breakfast Courtesy of TripAdvisor
Canyon Lake Ranch Guesthouse - great for Texas girls getaways, luxury country cottage and cabin, private pool, hot tubs, massage and other spa experiences available
Canyon Lake Ranch Courtesy of TripAdvisor
Reviews and rates for New Braunfels Bed and Breakfasts.
Attractions on your New Braunfels Vacation
- Sophienburg-New Braunfells Archives and Museum of History - features town's history including artifacts and replicas of pioneer houses, shops and more
- Museum of Art and Music - features traditional country/Texas music and art
- Gruene Historic District - cute, quaint village was established before 1850 by German immigrants, old homes, stores, galleries and inns....take a walking tour of historic Gruene with its historic markers throughout the town
- "Devil's Backbone" - scenic drive along the crest of a ridge....also, Guadalupe River Road 10 mile drive which crosses the river 3 times
- Dry Comal Creek Vineyards - wine tasting for your New Braunfels vacation, tour fields and production facilities, 20 minutes from town
- Comal and Guadalupe Rivers - try tubing down these cold spring rivers, also canoeing
- Clear Springs Aviaries and Zoological Gardens - 35 acre park with over 200 species of exotic birds and animals and 2000 species of plants
- Natural Bridge Caverns - largest show cavern in Texas with climbing wall and zip line
- Texas Ski Ranch for extreme water sports, wakeboarding and wakeskating
- Schlitterbahn - Travel Channel's highest rated waterpark in the USA
- Landa Park - paddleboats and train rides, great for kids and family getaways
Gruene antique Company across from Gruene Hall has 8000 sq ft of antiques and at Gruene General Store you will find lots of fun collectibles, vintage items, food items, souvenirs and more.
Restaurants for your New Braunfels Vacation
For a romantic weekend treat, try the Liberty Bistro and for great ribs there is Bar D BBQ.
The Freiheit Country Store is a downhome friendly, slice of Texas with great burgers and hand cut fries. Union Street Station, a great place for breakfast is filled with train memorabilia.
For German food on a New Braunfels vacation, try the Freisenhaus with its traditional German dishes and live music.
In Gruene, eat at the Gristmill. It overlooks the river....be sure and ask for a table close to the river.
- Have you been to New Braunfels? Do you have a favorite place to stay or attraction that everyone should know about?
- When you return from your getaway, tell us about it. Review the destination, lodging, attractions, restaurants and/or share a photo.
New Braunfels Rentals
Hill Country Getaway
San Antonio Getaway
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.