With all of the beautiful San Francisco Luxury Hotels and top rated restaurants, it is also a great city for romantic weekend getaways.
We were there recently for one of our Girls Getaways. It happened to be Flight Weekend, where the "Blue Angels" perform over the skies of the city.
Wow, what an experience!
This is one of the many interesting San Francisco Events that take place throughout the year.
My two nephews and niece who live in this beautiful city have given me the insiders scoop on their favorite San Francisco restaurants, things to do and sights to see in the "City by the Bay".
San Francisco Lodging and RestaurantsCheck out the best San Francisco hotels and restaurants for your San Francisco Getaway. Also, check out this excellent list of cheap accommodations in San Francisco including hostels and low cost hotels.
San Francisco Attractions
- City Guides Walking Tours - 26 free tours
- San Francisco Botanical Gardens - free docent tours
- Chinese Fortune Cookie Factory in Chinatown - free tour
- Free days at San Francisco Museums
- California Academy of Science - first Wed.
- Exploratorium - first Wed.
- Museum of Modern Art - first Tues.
- Legion of Honor - first Tues.
- Asian Art Museum - Thurs. 5-9pm
- Museum of Modern Art - Thurs. 5-9pm
- Hike to Land's End for the best views of the Golden Gate Bridge
- Victorian Home Walk - 2 1/2 hour trolley car + walking tour
- Pacific Heights Walk - Walk includes historic mansions and beautiful views
- Hob Nob Tours - Historic walking tour of Nob Hill
- Chinatown Food Tours - History and back alleys of Chinatown, dim sum included
- Muir Woods Walk - "Tom's Scenic Trail Walking" Hike and picnic lunch in Muir Woods
- Golden Gate Park including Japanese Garden San Francisco
- Alcatraz Island - "Uncle Sams's Devil's Island" - famous maximum security prison holding harden criminals during the 1930's - 1950's crime surge. Alcatraz tickets should be reserved before your trip because they often sell out.
- Rent bikes and ride across the Golden Gate Bridge on your San Francisco Getaway.
- Pier 39 San Francisco - Check out this waterfront attraction for dining, shopping and the famous "street performers".
- Consider the City Pass for your San Francisco Getaway which is $54.00 for 7 attractions and unlimited cable car and Muni rides for 7 days.
- San Francisco Aquarium - "Aquarium by the Bay" Find out what lies beneath the bay.
- Golden Gate Park - rent bikes and ride the trails in this beautiful place.
- San Francisco Ocean Beach - right outside Golden Gate Park
- Watch the famous "street performers at Pier 39 on the wharf.
- How about a cooking class San Francisco style?? This would be especially fun for Girls Weekend Getaways or a couple who enjoy cooking together. Check out classes at the Tante Marie's Cooking School There are weekend workshops and one-day workshops.
- San Francisco Antiques - Jackson Square in the historic Barbary Coast district is a great place to find high end antiques. Otherwise San Francisco Antique and Design Mall 701 Bayshore Blvd. near intersection of Highways 101 and 280. Plan your San Francisco Getaway for October and the annual "San Francisco Fall Antiques Show".
Budget San Francisco - Free things to do in San Francisco
Tour San Francisco
San Francisco Neighborhoods
San Francisco Tourist Attractions
San Francisco Kids Activities
San Francisco Tourist Guide Unique Ideas
San Francisco Travel
- The Bay Area Rapid Transit connects both SFO (San Francisco International Airport) and Oakland Airport to the city.
- The most common (and cheapest) mode of transportation within the city for your San Francisco Getaway. It is a bit confusing, because of so many routes, and can be VERY slow (if traffic is heavy or transfers are necessary). You need to have correct change for the fare.
- The San Francisco Cable Car System is unique....it is the only one still operating in the world. There are 3 lines within the city. They are the Powell/Hyde Line, Powell/Mason Line, and the California Line. You MUST include a ride on one of the cable cars on your San Francisco Getaway. This is a very fun experience! Sometimes it is difficult to find room, but it always seems they can pack a couple more people aboard....hanging out the sides!!
- To save money if you will be using public transportation San Francisco, buy a Muni Passport. There is a 1 day, 3 day and 7 day passport. This includes the cable car...so definitely buy one if you will be using the cable cars. Check out the link for detailed information.
- Sometimes this is really the best way to get from point A to point B in San Francisco, especially if you have 3 or 4 people in your group.
- Check out Cheap Rental Cars. Weekend rates are usually quite a bit lower, that is between Thursday and Monday with a Saturday night stay.
NOTE: It is usually recommended that you do not get a car rental in San Francisco. It is VERY HILLY, hard to find parking, and expensive to park (especially overnight).That said, we have used a car rental for a San Francisco weekend getaway on several trips. If you are going to stay in the city the entire time, I wouldn't get a car. You can get the BART into the city, then use public transportation San Francisco or taxis.
- Find Cheap Flights from 100+ Sites with One Click. to get the best deal on airfare.
Bart San Francisco
San Francisco Bus
Muni San Francisco Passport
Car Rental in San Francisco
Flight to San Francisco
If you are wondering about the weather, San Francisco is fairly mild most of the year. January is coldest with an average high of 56 degrees and low of 46 degrees. October is warmest with an average high of 68 degrees and low of 56 degrees in September (warmest nights).
There is only an eight degree difference between the warmest and coldest months. The mild weather makes San Francisco a great destination any time of year.
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.